Monday, July 21, 2008

MONSOON CONNECTION I


Does anything come back to your mind and make you nostalgic when you see the first drop of rains with the monsoon setting in? I know, those who are poetic would certainly refer to some poems and would find a particular association with the nature. I am no exception. But I have association of a few peculiar things with monsoon. Come monsoon and I revisit those, mentally.
Monsoon and the Calcutta Football League is just synonymous to me. I remember when I was in the primary school, how I used to rush home after the classes and switch on the radio to listen to the commentary of the football matches. Those days of Mohun Bagan, East Bengal, Md Sporting, Arians, Port Trust, Taltala Sammilani and so many other clubs still come as a flashback in my mind. There were few famous clubs which are now defunct with the decline of the Calcutta Football. I was never a sporting person. I hardly played football except the occasional para or school football in the muddy ground. But I still remember I used to sit on the rooftop and be mesmerized with the movements of the footballers like Babu Mani, Bikash Panji, Krishanu De, Sishir Ghosh, Chima, Emeka, Chibujor, Subrata Bhattacharya, Monoronjan, Bhaskar Ganguly and many others. Though I was fortunate enough to meet some of them and interview later when I joined the profession, but they were my childhood ‘radio’ hero! It is really great to see the live telecast of the League matches is reviving the craze for the football league after a period of slackness. Long live Kolkata football, Long live my childhood monsoon connection!

No comments: