Sunday, November 30, 2008

WHAT DO WE DO NOW?


Sixty hours of high-voltage drama live on national television has made me numb. I cried within and anger simmered inside me as I saw politicians make the same old speeches. I prayed for those who were trapped and all the hundreds of unknown faces who have been affected by the tragedy. I saluted the heroes who fought the cowards. But at the end of it all I am just perplexed. When will we all stand up?

Six blasts in six months have made us mourn the incidents; the irony is that the latest Mumbai blasts are again a repetition and again we are mourning. Every time we talked of 'intelligence failure' and every time we saw 'tightened' security. On every occasion we got angry with the indifferent politicians and asked them the same question, when will we be safe?

Since 9/11 I have started believing that security is a myth. There cannot be a full-proof security. But that doesn't justify the fact that we will be left with ill-prepared intelligence agencies, ill-equipped security forces, no specialized anti-terror squads and above everything else, worthless politicians whom we have voted to power. I, like many others, got angry and then disgust crept in when I saw the constipated face of the country's home minister, who it seems, reads out the same speech after every blasts or terror attack. I wonder how could he be the home minister, the executive in charge of the country's security forces, without the least presence of dynamism in his appearance.

In the aftermath of the terror attack on Mumbai, the same old political blame game has begun and now the drama of resignations is taking most of the airtime. It frustrates me. At this juncture, why can't we discuss how to overpower global terrorists? or a terror management squad to tackle such situations? Why can't we start strategizing to collect intelligence information? And why can't we think of trauma management mechanisms? I believe we have to be equipped technologically better than the terrorists to take on them.

It is only now that we will think of tightening security in hotels, as we concentrated on banning bicycles after explosive-laden bicycles were used to cause blasts in some other parts of the country. We need a foolproof and sustained plan to tackle terror, we are no more at war with the Pakistan, but are under the radar of the global terrorists.

Still I am perplexed. I don't know what can we do other than raising our voices, that too in sporadic ways, most of which remain unheard.

No comments: